VAT News

GCC VAT update

Following the decision to implement a VAT system in the GCC countries from January 2018, it is thought that details of the unified VAT framework which underpins this system will be released within the next 2 weeks.

It has been widely publicised that the framework will be based upon the EU VAT directive, and the majority (up to 80%) of laws will follow from the GCC framework. The remaining 20% will be at the discretion of the national tax authority.

It is anticipated that certain GCC countries will also shortly release their own national VAT legislation. It is understood that zero rating or exemption will be applicable to items such as food items, healthcare services, and education, similarly to the EU VAT system.

Any businesses who have not yet considered the impact that VAT will have on their activities must take action imeediately in order to ensure that adequate systems and operations are in place.

Related articles

Why overlooking the VAT determination process is detrimental in the era of tax digitalisation

As tax moves into the digital world, hundreds of thousands of organisations across Europe will face substantial challenges when it comes to adhering to VAT.

Read more
Infringement Proceedings Brought Against Germany Over E-commerce VAT Rules

The European Commission decided to initiate formal infringement proceedings against Germany over section 22f & 25e of the German VAT Act.

Read more
HMRC Issue Letters on No-Deal Brexit Advice For UK Businesses Trading within the EU

HMRC letters to VAT-registered businesses trading with the EU explaining how to prepare for changes to customs, excise and VAT if the UK leaves the EU without a deal.

Read more